Thursday, March 18, 2010

Is This Bad?

Time management is a constant struggle for any working parent and if you're like me you find yourself making choices that you wish you didn't have to make. They aren't always life or death decisions but more often challenges to your parenting ideals.

For instance:

Last night I really wanted to run and spend some time on another project I have going. The problem is there are only so many hours in the evening. Adeline goes to bed around 7:30 or 8 now so I would have to choose one or the other.
OR
Do one while Adeline was still awake thereby sacrificing precious together coloring and play dough time. (Joel was busy with other things)

So I chose to run while Adeline was awake. I sat her on the couch in the basement and turned on Dora while I ran 3 miles on the treadmill. The timing was perfect, just as the episode finished I was cooling down. But I feel bad doing this. Mainly because I abhor the idea of TV as a babysitter and it promotes my daughter sitting on her butt rather than playing. If I had just let her play while I ran she would have tried to climb onto the treadmill with me. Trust me, we've tried.

The question is: Does my physical activity set a good example for her? (She did sit on the exercise mat with me afterward joining me in my stretching and crunches.) Does that off set a half an hour or mind numbing cartoons? Or am I being selfish and promoting a bad habit for Adeline?

1 comment:

Marni said...

now that the weather is nice, you should get a good jogging stroller and take her running outside. then, not only will you set a good example by running, she'll get fresh air and see nature at the time time.....(but to answer your question, a little TV doesnt hurt. its not like you sit her in front of the TV for hours at a time every day of the week! levi's new thing is mickey mouse clubhouse- we watch it every morning during breakfast so i can get our lunches made and get ready to leave the house in the morning)