Thursday, April 1, 2010

Thursday Hangover

OK So it's not that I booze it up on Wednesday nights. (Fire and Wine nights the exception.) It's that I have Wednesdays off. No rounds, no office hours, no long list of patients. It's my free day to spend with Joel and Adeline. It's the day that makes being a working mom bearable.
Yesterday for example I spent the whole day with Adeline. We ran errands and went to the book store, which she loves even more than the library because the kids section is bright and fun and accessible for kids. We came home and played outside for a long time. We blew bubbles. Adeline watered the patio. After nap we were back outside and then had a nice relaxing dinner as a family.
Wednesdays are wonderful. They are peaceful and calming and a perfect intermission to my work week.
Thursdays always come after Wednesdays like a slap in the face. Some days, like today, it feels like my first day back from maternity leave. I miss Adeline so. Even knowing that Joel is home with her only makes it a little better. I still feel a little guilty...
Yes I get two Saturdays a week (and a Sunday) but I also get two Mondays. If I were still working for "The Clinic" I would not have a day off in the work week and many moms don't at all. (Many mom's don't have to leave in the middle of the night on a moments notice and maybe not be back until the next evening either.)
Today I had to round to top it all off. Ugh. AND I'm the only doc in the office which means I'm tied here over lunch and maybe into the evening. I'm also on call again tonight as I cover for a partner who's on vacation.
But hey, tomorrow is Friday again.

No comments: