Sunday, July 3, 2011

Shortest Leave Ever

I'm sorry that I've neglected to post in the last few weeks. Of course I apologize mainly to myself. That I have lost so many thoughts into an oblivion of caring for a newborn. But I would not trade a moment that I spent with Eliott. So I'll give you the short recap...
Eliott was born at 5:44pm on his due date, May 15th. I managed to plant 48 potato plants that morning and spent only 5 hours in labor. With his sister before him it was a long 26 hour labor with every complication one would expect a pediatrician's child would have including a nuchal cord x 2, needing an amnioinfusion, she was sunny side up and stayed that way through delivery resulting in some wild tearing, not to mention the meconium needing tracheal suction twice, the forceps and the vacuum. Bless Eliott's soul I only had some ("nasty" to quote the OB "This is a very strange tear") tearing.
He took to nursing within minutes and latched like the good little 8lb 11oz baby boy he was. He is growing great and is in the 90th percentile for all his measurements. He sleeps 4 hours in a row overnight and doesn't mind being set down much at all. This is good because Adeline is, on occasion, a handful. As an infant she required constant rocking and walking. She was very colicky at this age and was definitely a trial. Eliott came with much less drama.
Speaking of Adeline, she did some regressing at first. She had a few accidents and threw some nasty tantrums but now she is growing into her big sister role wonderfully. She loves to help wash and fold diapers. She helps cook and pick up. She ADORES her little brother.
This summer and my maternity leave have been complicated by the fact that I am starting a new practice. We're opening August 8th and there has been a lot to do that didn't stop for a maternity leave. So unfortunately for Eliott and I, we spent a lot of time in meetings. I would be signing on for a 6 figure loan in a meeting with several people wearing expensive suites and impressive titles on their name tags and Eliott would be sitting beneath my chair as I rocked him back and forth in his car seat. I would be walking around our new building with IT people, contractors and my new partners, Eliott strapped tightly to my chest in his Moby wrap. I nursed as I designed magazine ads and worked out office work flow documents as I changed diapers or lay awake nursing at 3am. I feel that so much of my maternity leave was gobbled up worrying about and working for this new practice that surely Eliott must have been jipped. But I know in the long run it is all for him and his sister. It's just unfortunate timing for him. It all had to be this way. I can't imagine any other child in my arms at any other time. I can't imagine doing this new business any differently. And now that I head back to work tomorrow to care for other's children all I can think about is next spring, next summer, things will be quieter. Next year I will be able to give more time to my children.

Maybe.

1 comment:

Dora said...

Sarah, you are doing such amazing things, congrats! What an accomplishment both as a mother and in your career. I know how hard it is to go back to work, I think it always feels too soon and too much time away. But kids are so adaptable and know when their truly loved. It's the quality of the time you spend together that matters, and I'm sure you have someone you trust to watch after both precious ones. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.