Sunday, November 9, 2008

I need a bigger Nightstand

I have always loved to read. It is a habit that my parents successfully instilled upon me at a very early age. (I read The Hobbit when I was 8 and was devouring Mitchner by junior high) But, save having a book to read for school and one for "fun", I have always managed to hold myself to one novel at a time. I have tried to adhear to this limit partly because of a touch of ADD but mostly because I was afraid to become my father. (Sorry Dad) I often thought that his demise would come the night the giant stack of partially finished works toppled off of his night stand and crushed him in his sleep. It obviously never happened and I have become lax to my rule. I just finished The Historian, a novel chronicling the death and burial of Dracula in parallel to the hunt for his final resting place. It was nearly 700 pages of Eastern European pseudo-history but I enjoyed it.
But before I finished that I had started Those Who Save Us for our upcoming book club. Together with the trashy novel I picked up for my recent trip to Boston,The Other Boleyn Girl and the pointless Labyrinth which I think I'm going to have to start over if I ever want to give it a fair shot there were 4 novels sitting on my nightstand along with the usual girly things, an alarm clock, lotion, 2 of Adeline's toys, a lamp and a spit rag. My nightstand is only 12"x18".
Meanwhile the list of books I want to read keeps growing and growing.

The Madness needs to stop


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sarah...reading just one book at a time...(especially to it's conclusion)...has always been a problem...It's too easy to become distracted...half way through a book I find myself looking up a reference to another book...starting that book etc. etc...I'm glad you enjoyed the Historian...That one I did finish...fortunatly for me at the time I didn't have access to a book on the infamous Count Vlad...Right now I'm fighting my way through Bertram Russels history of philosphy...So far I've refrained from putting the book aside and re-reading Plato's republic but it was a near run thing...Part of my reasoning for my current book is so I can have a semi-intelegent conversation with David...Love Dad