Tuesday, June 8, 2010

First Harvest

Yes it's time for the first harvest of our spring efforts!
Earlier this week I picked some cilantro and basil from my herb garden and added them to a few favorite summer recipes for a delicious start to the "fresh food" season. I've posted the recipes below. The salsa is a pretty common recipe but one of my favorites none the less. My take on the Capri salad came out of necessity. (I didn't have any regular balsamic to use so I had to use the cinnamon pear balsamic from Folgarelli's. It sounds weird but Joel and I have been eating this stuff nearly daily and we can't get enough.)


Mango Salsa
-one semi firm mango
-one semi firm peach
-half a sweet red pepper
-quarter of a red onion
-a handful of the green part of green onions finely chopped
-a handful of fresh cilantro finely chopped
-juice of one lime
-a dash of salt

-cut the fruit into quarter inch chunks and the veggies even smaller, add the onions, salt and cilantro then stir in the lime juice
-chill for a few hours then serve (I like mine with a pepper lime chicken or just with tortilla chips)


Capri Salad
-fresh mozzarella chopped into half inch chunks ( 1-2 cups)
-equal amount of cherry tomatoes halved
-a few sprigs of basil finely chopped
-a splash of cinnamon pear balsamic

-stir and serve

I'd love to hear about your favorite to-dos with fresh herbs!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your capri salad is like a salad i make in the summer that has no name- the nana salad: These are individual personal salad plates, each has 1-2 slices of fresh tomatoes with a slice of fresh (from a ball or homemade) mozarella cheese on each, topped with a fresh basil leaf and drizzled with basalmic vinegar. Very nice when tomatoes and basil are fresh! mom hull

'BOTB said...

Basil, Rosemary, olive oil, some salt and pepper (maybe some garlic) makes a KILLER dipping oil for bread. Speaking of bread, why not try herbed foccacia or pizza dough?