Thursday, December 11, 2008

Split Genre

I have a confession to make:

I have a split personality when it comes to tastes in books. I never really thought I had a certain genre but now I think I have two.

I really enjoy depressing, "life-vision changing", novels like Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible (a must read if you haven't already), Martel's Life of Pi and Garcia Marquez's Love in the Time of Cholera. Throw in The Heart of Darkness and Lord of the Flies and I am one happy camper.

But now I have to admit that I have another favorite genre that I never really thought about. I kind of have a thing for the undead. In highschool and college I ate through Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles and Witching Hour series. I really enjoyed Kostova's The Historian and Brooks' World War Z. Now I'm afraid I'm hooked on the Twilight Series. (Thanks Alyssa and be warned Marni).

I just finished reading Twilight because Like Marni I quit reading One Drop. I quit the book club book because I found the author unbearable. I don't really know what a WASP is but I don't think they should be allowed to write books anymore. I only made it 100 pages in and unfortunately I did buy the book, (stupid Amazon credit card). I may try again but it will only be in despirate attempt to keep my perfect 100% reading rate intact. Now I wish I had just bought the whole Twilight series. I should have known. Why have I denied my love for undead books before?

1 comment:

'BOTB said...

I just finished Twilight two weeks ago but I banned myself from getting the 2nd installment until I finished reading the Book Club book. I couldn't put Twilight down...even though it was pretty insipid writing. Maybe I was channeling my inner 15 year old girl?