Thursday, May 6, 2010

Something Had To Give

And this time it was my running.

About 5 months ago, in the dead of winter, when this spring was a distant dream, I signed up for a 10k on May 29th. At the time I was running 3-6 miles at a time, 3-4 times a week on the treadmill. I could have run the race then. But the race wasn't then. The race is 3 weeks from now. And I haven't run in a week and a half.

It's not that I've been lazy. Far from it. I've had a very productive spring. As has Joel. It's just that I've had to make a series of choices that seemed to leave running out of the picture. I can't say that I regret any of those choices. I just wish I didn't have to make them.

These choices have included:
1) Clearing out an area for and building a herb garden behind the house out of pavers and 4 square yards of dirt I hauled up the hill from the garden one wheelbarrow full at a time. I'll try to post some pics. It turned out very well. I can't wait to plant my herbs in it next week.

2) planting and caring for a garden's work of plants from seed.

3) planting, watering, mulching, training 6 seedless grape vines and 12 raspberry bushes. The blueberries, cranberries and fruit trees are yet to arrive. Thankfully.

4) doing all of the above for 100 asparagus plants not to mention the potatoes, garlic, onions, shallots and other tubers I haven't had a chance to get to yet. (Anyone want any asparagus?)

5) chickens. Nuf said

6) Hops yard. Joel admittedly did most of the work here but every hour he spent working, I spent watching Dela and not running. I've thought about a jogging stroller for us, but our area is way too hilly to both push it up the hills and control it on the way down.

7) Painting the living room, bathrooms and guest room.

8) just relaxing for a moment and enjoying my daughter and Joel when all of the above is done.


Now that I've listed all of that out, I do feel pretty accomplished. I just wish I would have saved myself the entry fee on that stupid race...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to priorities 101! You'll never regret that second marathon, but you might regret the running time that could have been spent with your family and in other things you enjoy, like gardening, farming and enjoying life in general. You and Joel are awesome parents! Love, mom H.