Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Tic, Tic, Woosh

Or Major Cheese Failure

It started out as a failure. It really did. Doomed from the start. A simple cheese recipe I had used a dozen times. Probably the oldest cheese recipe known to man. (Boil milk, add lemon juice, drain) All I did was double it and use a different pot.

I could blame the failure on the pot or the nebulous law of doubling a recipe but I prefer to blame it on the stove. It's one of those flat top jiggers that is "easy to clean" and provides "even heat".

Whatever. They suck. Don't ever buy one. Oh how I miss the Tic-Tic-Woosh of a gas stove lighting. I miss not burning the bottoms of my pans and whatever settles to the bottom of my pots. Including my ill fated cheese.

The worst part is that getting a gas stove would involve not just pulling a gas line to the kitchen but also pulling one to the house. We have no gas. Don't get me wrong. I love that we don't have a gas bill, I just miss cooking with gas.

Maybe I'll start making cheese on the grill.

No comments: